segunda-feira, 3 de junho de 2024

Using AI for game balancing

Since last year, AI has become a more integrated part of my daily life. It's inevitable, and we need to learn how to utilize these technologies effectively, making them our allies in the development process. While I'm not a proponent of using AI to solely generate game ideas, I believe it holds immense potential for game balancing.



Let me share an example from a card game I'm currently developing. It uses trick-taking mechanics with a food theme. The AI I'm working with is Google's Gemini (formerly Bard). Here are some prompts and commands I've found valuable in this project:

1. Gauging AI Knowledge: I began by assessing Gemini's knowledge of trick-taking mechanics. I asked, "How familiar are you with trick-taking mechanics in card games?" The response was positive, and the AI provided several examples within this category.

2. Visualizing Game Mechanics: To help the AI understand the gameplay flow, I shared a sequence of images depicting the activity loop of each round, presented in a comic book format. I phrased it like this: "I'd like to show you a sequence of my game in comic panels. Can you tell me if you understand how a round works?"

3. Asking Specific Questions: Instead of open-ended prompts, I focused on specific goals. For example, regarding card distribution, I asked: "Based on the core mechanics I've shown you, can you suggest a better way to distribute cards in my game to create a balanced experience for players?"

It's important to remember that AI isn't a magic solution. The first suggestion Gemini provided needed some refinement. However, through further prompts and iterations, I arrived at a more viable structure for my game.

Next Steps: The next step is to create a simple prototype for initial beta testing. Player feedback will be crucial for further refinement.

Overall, AI presents a powerful tool that can assist with various aspects of game development, including balancing, code, narrative, and concept ideas.

#GoGamers

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário